This blog will act as a learning log for the "Art of Photography" course which I'm studying. This course is the introductory module for the Open College of the Arts (OCA), Photography Degree course.

Sunday 6 January 2013

Part 3 - Exercise 3

This exercise looks first at combining each combination of primary and complimentary (opposing on the colour wheel), colours. What's more the objective is to combine them in the ratios recommended by Goethe:

  • Red : Green - 1:1
  • Orange : Blue - 1:2
  • Yellow : Violet - 1:3
I'm not sure I got the ratios exact, but they're not far off. I also have to be honest and say that while I can see that the colours work well together, I'm not necessarily seeing that the ratios of particularly important in terms of getting them to work together appropriately.

Red and Green in a 1:1 ratio.



Orange and Blue in a 1 to 2 ratio.



Yellow and Violet in a ratio of 1:3


The second part of the exercise is simply to choose some subjects / scenes which have colours which I find pleasing.

The first is blue and green, with a some neutral brown and grey around them. The blue and green both have an earthy acidic quality to them which I think makes them work together well. Both colours are quite cool. They are next to each other on the colour wheel and so have Harmony by being Similar.


The next 2 colours also have Harmony by being Similar - next to each other on the colour wheel.





No comments:

Post a Comment