This blog will act as a learning log for the "Art of Photography" course which I'm studying. This course is the introductory module for the Open College of the Arts (OCA), Photography Degree course.

Saturday 19 January 2013

Assignment 2

Got my feedback from my tutor for Assignment 2 (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/104013160/SBAOP2.pdf). I've also included the text from a couple of emails which followed below.

Overall I'm reasonably happy with the submission and my feedback, but there are a couple of things I want to change in the submission before actually sending for Assessment. Primarily around the mistake I made of trying to get each photo to fit more than 1 criteria. Once I restructure the submission around this it may mean that I need to re-take some photos, I'm not sure yet. Right now I want to move forward with Assignment 3 and then revisit this when in the middle of Part 4 which is quite long.

The full Assignment submission is available here - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/104013160/Assignment%202%20-%20Steven%20Briggs%20-%20510812.rar

Email sent by me to my tutor on 12/01/13

Hi David

Thank you for your feedback. 

I take your point re not focussing on one design criteria in each photograph. I mistakenly thought that this assignment required that approach. Is it allowed for me to change my Assignment submission before submitting it for formal assessment? Does this extend to re-editing or even re-taking photographs based on your recommendations?

I think I read in the course documentation that you can give some indication as to what grade I might get for this submission in it's current state. Is that something you can do?

I think that it's interesting that you saw the triangle in 009 as almost being too obvious and explicit. I nearly didn't choose that photograph because I was concerned that the triangles might not be obvious enough.  It was this uncertainty that made me think that I should include sketches for each shot to show my thinking. As you say, it's all very subjective - makes it difficult when choosing what photographs to submit. 

In line with the above I'd welcome any feedback you could give on 004 and 010 as they were 2 of my favourite photographs but I was also aware that they might appear to be a bit naff. I'd really like someone else's view on whether I was right or wrong to find them interesting.

I've already got well on the way with Part 3. I'll act on your feedback for the next Assignment. With regards to the next Assignment I do have a question about the use of filters. The brief says that this is allowed, but I wonder how far this extends? Given that the photographs need to be in colour to meet the brief, I'm thinking the use of filters would change the nature of the colour captured e.g. to make the  photograph cooler by adding a blue tint. Obviously in the digital realm this could extend to changing the hue of a particular colour etc. I don't know if this is something which I would want or need to do, but want to find out if this is allowed or recommended before I proceed.

Thanks also for your list of recommended photographers. I'll take a good look through them later. I'm attending another Red Eye event on Thursday - a talk by Peter Fraser, so I was very pleased to see him in your list of recommendations.

Regards

Steven

My tutor's response:

Steven

You can change any aspect of any assignment before submitting for assessment, indeed, this is the goal of having feedback from a tutor as you progress -you can respond to our notes and make changes as you see fit.

As I don't currently do the assessments I am not I'm afraid in a position where I can give you an indication of final grade.

Images 4 and 9 were both interesting, my reasoning for not commenting on them was specifically because there were other images which served as better indicators of points I wished to raise.  I responded slightly more to image 4, 9 for me as a single image lacked something.  Both however are the sort of photograph that works better in a series of related photographs.  A good example of this form of practice is Peter Fraser as you will see at his talk -hence my recommendation!  Another similar photographer would be Harry Watts and his on-going FINDS projects http://www.harry-watts.co.uk/  .  You can see how these kind of photographs, taken alone, are often mundane but when present in a series they can really come alive and reveal something new.

Whilst filters are not banned from use I would strongly advise against their use for something like the colour assignment as the point is to help you see how different colours can interact within a photograph and manipulating them through filtration probably won't help the overall learning experience.  Saying that a polariser can help bring some colours out in appropriate situations so this might be an acceptable option.

Hope this helps

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment