This blog will act as a learning log for the "Art of Photography" course which I'm studying. This course is the introductory module for the Open College of the Arts (OCA), Photography Degree course.

Friday 7 June 2013

Terry Evans - Yancey Richardson Gallery

This was the first of the private galleries that I went to. I was surprised at how open and inviting it was and that I could just wander round completely at my own pace without any questioning or interference. All the galleries that I went to after were just as good in this respect.

These works by Terry Evans were square, black and white aerial landscape views. I was at first unsure whether they were models rather than real landscapes. They had little to no human context and it was difficult to grasp scale. As such the photographs had a very graphical focus, this was emphasised by the rich tones and lighting.

There wasa sliky quality to the shots, contrast was reasonably high but there was still detail in the images (I'm guessing they were medium or large format).

There was no obvious political or philosophical statement here - except maybe about mans imprint on the landscape. In this regard it did raise interesting questions - does man have any impact/significance, negative  or otherwise - but offered opposing answers

One of the shots literally made me gasp because it was so strikingly beautiful. It consisted of a road (possibly a highway/motorway), which swept itself across undulating hills. The light was that of a setting sun - the road almost glistened and the hills cast shadows on the grass. It was at once abstract and also emotive of real world experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment